Top 10 Strategies for Clearing Clutter in Your HomeOct 24, 2023
Do you find yourself living amongst piles of clutter? Do you feel like it’s time for a change but don’t know where to start? Check out these top 10 tips and strategies for clearing the clutter in your home — from what to do with sentimental items to decluttering your junk drawer, I’ll provide practical steps to clear the clutter that are easy to follow.
As moms, we have enough on our plates without dealing with a messy home. The answer isn't bigger houses or better organization. The answer is less stuff.
No matter where you’re starting from, it’s simple to get started today! In no time at all, you will have clutter-free spaces and a clean home. Are you ready to get started?
How Decluttering Improves Your Life
Clearing the clutter can help improve your life by giving you a more organized and peaceful home. Imagine coming home after a long day of errands to an organized, clutter-free living space instead of feeling of being overwhelmed by messes everywhere. You can jump right into the things you need to do (or just relax) instead of working on cleaning up as well.
Decluttering may seem like a daunting task, but now is the right time to start. In a country where 11.1% of households have storage units, we can see that our stuff has gotten out of control! Let’s check out some more benefits of decluttering your home. Which benefit are you most excited about?
Benefits of decluttering Your Home
You might be wondering if this whole decluttering thing is really worth it. If you're on the fence, it's a good idea to really look at the benefits. Decluttering really can hit every aspect of your life, not just your physical space. Let me tell you, mama, whether you have a large family or not, there are so many benefits to decluttering your home. Let me share
- Less stress, anxiety and overwhelm because of the clear spaces. Actually, this is a psychological benefit of decluttering. When you feel less stressed and overwhelmed, you are less likely to deal with the physical effects of that, and your mental health will be so much better!
- A more welcoming space that is easier to clean and maintain
- Better sleep due to decluttered bedrooms without so much stuff everywhere.
- You’ll have more space to live and move around in.
- Your home will be more inviting to guests and they’ll feel comfortable staying for a while.
- You’ll save money because you won’t have to buy similar items to what you already own but can’t find. You will also save by being more intentional about what you buy.
- With less stuff, you’ll have less cleaning to do and fewer toys to pick up. This frees up more time for the more important things of life.
- Everything will have a home.
- As you feel more peaceful and calm, you can feel free to enjoy spending time with God instead of worrying about all you need to do and clean. This is a spiritual benefit of decluttering.
- We realize the hold possessions have on our lives and are free to let them go so we can focus on what is truly important. I mean, Jesus definitely didn’t have a lot of stuff.
Clearing Clutter - Where to Start
So, you want to get started with decluttering in your home, but where do you even start? Perhaps you've heard of the Marie Kondo method, but don't really know what to do. Well, one of the easiest ways to get started is to start with the room in your home that you spend the most time in. For many of us, this is our living room where we relax after a long day or our kitchen. My kitchen counters are what tend to get the most cluttered in my home.
If it’s been years since you last cleared the clutter from this space then don’t worry! I know it may seem overwhelming, but I will give you some small steps for getting started. Once you start making some changes in even a small area, you will be motivated to continue. Bad habits take time to build, so know that the best first step is to just start.
Clearing Clutter Tips and Strategies
Now that you’ve seen how decluttering can benefit you on many levels, let’s get into some decluttering tips and strategies to help you get going. This is by no means an exhaustive list but will give you some great help in your clutter-clearing efforts.
- Start small and declutter one flat surface first. This will help you notice the difference and keep you motivated. By starting small, you’ll be less likely to get overwhelmed and quit.
- Once you start clearing clutter, don’t stop! You’ll be more motivated if you keep going with the clutter clearing.
- If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed, take a break but don’t give up. Decluttering is a process and it will take time, so be patient with yourself.
- Ask yourself if you really love the item, use it often, or if it’s necessary at times. This will help you make better choices on what to keep and what to get rid of. For sentimental items, try taking a picture instead of keeping the item. If you're not sure, try putting items in a box in your garage. If you don't use it or want to look at it in six months, then it's time to let it go.
- Make sure each item you keep has a home. Things can get cluttered again if you don't know where they go.
- Create a system for dealing with the items that you’re getting rid of. Have a donation box, sell box, and trash bag to make it easy to get rid of things.
- Make a rule that for every new item that comes into your home, one has to go out. This will help you gradually clear clutter and not accumulate more stuff.
- Take before and after pictures of your decluttered spaces so you can see the progress you’re making and be encouraged to keep going. Plus, this will make for some good memories!
- Get your family and friends involved in decluttering so you can motivate each other and have some fun while doing it!
- Don’t forget to reward yourself along the way for decluttering some of the spaces in your home. This is a good way to motivate and keep you going towards that goal of clearing all clutter!
So there you have it, top ten strategies on how to clear out clutter from your life once and for all. Remember, take one step at a time and you will notice big differences.
These are just a few tips to get you started on clearing clutter from your home. It’s definitely not an easy task, but with perseverance, you can do it! Just take it one step at a time and before you know it, your home will be decluttered and organized. And don’t forget to reward yourself along the way!
You may also enjoy these: